Many personal injury victims are usually interested in monetary compensation for their damages. However, successful resolution of injury cases doesn't all have to end with monetary compensation. There are even cases where non-monetary remedies are preferable. Here are some of the potential forms of non-monetary remedies.


For a replevin remedy, the court orders the defendant to return something that they wrongly took from you. The defendant doesn't compensate you for the value of the item; rather, the defendant returns the actual item they took from you. Say you are an art collector and your landlord takes one of your paintings because of late rent payments. If you sue the landlord and win, you may get a replevin remedy that orders the landlord to return the actual painting they took from you.


Ejectment remedy applies where someone is illegally staying in, occupying or using a property. For example, if a tenant refuses to move out of rental after the expiry of the notice period, you may petition the court to help you eject the tenant. Ejectment can also help you get rid of a trespasser who has refused to leave your land.


An injunction is a court order compelling one person to do something or stop doing something. You can get an injunction against a party who is causing you or the community harm so that the court compels the person to halt their harmful actions. For example, if a local company is disposing of dangerous chemicals in the local river, you can get an injunction against the company, forcing them to stop the harmful practice.

Restraining Order

A restraining order compels a person to stop contacting you or coming near you. A restraining order helps if the defendant is harassing you or harming you or if you are afraid the defendant can do any of those things if they come near you. Your chances of getting a restraining order are high if there are clear signs that the defendant can harm you in any way.

The restraining order can prevent all forms of contacts form the defendant including physical and electronic (think phone calls or emails) contacts.  For example, if your former spouse is harassing you, you can get a restraining order to stop the harassment.

As you can see, you don't have to rely on monetary damages to correct an injury that another person might cause you. In some cases, you can get both monetary and non-monetary remedies from the court. Tell your personal injury attorney your objectives for the case, and they will help you get the remedy if possible.